Coastal Path

Coastal Path

Monday 9 April 2007

16th day Aber Mawr to Goodwick 12.8 miles

Up early today as I knew I had a long day ahead of me, with quite a few ascents and descents. The amount you walk up and down doesn't count only the mileage latitudinally so you can have a very hard day without seeming to have got very far! Mark showed me where to park the car in Goodwick and then he gave Pat and I a lift to Aber Mawr. Pat is still in some pain from her foot and so she must rest it still to see if it will improve for the finishing part of this walk. So Mark waked with me for the first part of the way today. It was another glorious morning of bright sunshine and the views were again spectacular. The start at 9.30am was not promising as at Aber Mawr quite a strong stream flows through the beach and there is no obvious way of crossing this stream without getting your feet wet right at the start of the day. With my poor balance from not feeling my feet much it was quite a challenge to balance on some rocks to get across. I have the advantage of reasonably long legs so could stretch more from one rock to another. As it was I still had to dip my boots in the stream to get across. Then it was up the hill and around a headland. We then came across some wild ponies grazing on the headland. I am a bit nervous around horses so I was pleased that Marc was still with me at this point, especially as they had grazed into the corner right by the stile! They soon moved and I crossed the stile to view a quite spectacular drop down and then back up again and it wasn't even 10 o'clock! Marc turned back at this point as he had a busy day ahead of him and needed to get back home. I was just grateful he had walked as far as he had with me. After that dip down it was then quite a scramble sometimes over large boulders. Alot of the scrub here had been burnt recently so the heavy scent of the gorse was interspersed with the smell of ash and smoke. It was a long climb up the ridge to get above Pwll Deri but the views were incredible, all the more so because I don't like heights and was very proud of what I had already achieved! I then had to press on to meet Pat at Strumble head car park. Once you have cleared Pwll Deri you think it can't be too far to this lighthouse as you can see it for quite a while but once again the path will cut back on itself into another small cove. I was also surprised that when you weren't on rocks you were sometimes picking your way through boggy patches. I must admit at this point I really missed Pat going "Oh, not Mud!!" By 12.20 I had finally made it to the car park to meet with the new support team. I was very impressed with Marianne who was the driver, Rosemary (our hosts elderly mother) and Pat. Marianne got to the right point at the right time. Rosemary fortuately had brought water (I had already got through a litre it was so hot) and then there was Pat!! Bless Pat, she really enjoyed my biscuits that I had carried for 6 miles in my rucksack! Why hadn't she brought her own? ( I am joking, Pat has been a brilliant sandwich maker and makes sure every morning that we are supplied for the day ahead). After enjoying my sarnies it was back to the long walk around to Goodwick. This was much quieter with fewer walkers about. I don't blame them it was a long afternoon of again with alot of ascents and descents. I met a very nice family whose son had walked the entire path at the age of 16 for some of his local charities. They happily told me it was going to get a lot harder before I finished! This really made me feel good! For the first time in days the sun clouded over in the afternoon, which was a blessing as I had only 1 water bottle with me (I couldn't find my 2nd bottle in the move to Newport). Into Goodwick the path was once again not very clearly marked but it wasn't too difficult to find the car. It was 4.30pm and I really fancied a refreshing cup of tea only to find that they had finished serving tea by the time I had tidied myself up. However, I did find the missing water bottle in the back of the car so was able to get some refreshment after all. I then drove back to Marc and Helens beautiful house where Pat made me a cup of tea. We enjoyed the sun in the garden before a relaxing bath and tea. Pat told me what an exhausting day she had had going out for lunch with Rosemary and Marianne,but she had spent the afternoon scouting out my route for tomorrow.
Joking apart Pat and I feel truly blessed with the wonderful people who have supported us and provided us with accomodation. Without their help we wouldn't be able to do what we are doing. These are the last few days of our "incredible journey" and Pat thinks I'm wonder woman! But I must point out I am not wearing sparkly knickers during this walk!!

No comments: