Coastal Path

Coastal Path

Wednesday 4 April 2007

Day 11: Newgale to St Non's Chapel, 10.5 miles

Once again the most fantastic weather with bright sunshine from dawn to dusk. Unfortunately Pat's weak ankle had worsened after the poor paths from Newgale to Nolton Haven and it was agreed that she really needed to rest it before she did any long term damage. Instead my 13 year old son Daniel agreed to do the walk with me from Newgale to Caerfai as he would be able to cope better with the steep ups and downs on this stretch of the path just out of Newgale. We started out about 10am and had a very successful mornings walk. We arrived at Solva just after 12am and had a relaxed lunch break with Pat, Andy and my other son Nathan. At 1.15 we all set off for the coast path out of Solva. Once we got up on the headland above the village the others returned to the car whilst Dan and I carried on. The views were spectacular as today there was no heat haze and we could see all the islands across St Brides Bay clearly. It seemed incredible to me that all that I was looking at I had walked in the previous 10 days. The path was much better from Solva to Caerfai. I lost some time as the end of one of my walking sticks had fallen off and I didn't notice for 20 mins.(Thank you Sue & Bis for the loan of your sticks without which I would never have managed. I am looking after them!). When I did notice I had to go back and look as the path was wide and firm, so the tip should be clearly visible and Dan thought he knew where it had happened. We found the tip and then retraced our steps getting to Caerfai at around 3.30pm. Pat felt that she wanted to walk a bit more so that her foot wouldn't stiffen up so she and I walked onto St Non's chapel which was just around the next headland. It is a most beautiful spot and the chapel was very peaceful. Pat and I walked down to the Holy well where we bathed our feet in the cool waters, as the waters are supposed to help infirmities. It was such a wonderful afternoon we all sat on the slate bench outside the retreat house, out of he cold north easterly wind and just enjoyed the beauty around us.
Whether it is the cold waters of the Holy well, my feet are not throbbing for the first time in days!

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Hi Liz and Pat
Only a couple of days to go and you can have a well earned rest on Easter Sunday.
This blog is addictive as we now have to check your progress every evening!
You are doing very well so keep going.
Love to you both
Hazel and Blue

R Wreyford said...

Just keep walking, just keep walking!
Good to hear your still on the path, just watch those steps.
Rachel.