Coastal Path

Coastal Path

Tuesday 10 April 2007

Day 17 Goodwick to Newport Iron Bridge 13.7 miles

Pat still not up to walking on the coast path so Marc kindly came along for part of this mornings' walk. Just before we set off I heard that my cousin Kim was also coming along to walk with me for the day as well. We all met up in the car park at Goodwick and once again started off in bright sunlight. As usual in the towns, the trail is not always clear to see, whether because signposts have come down or markings have been vandalised. Marc came with us to Fishguard and then had to turn back. Kim and I continued in the excellent weather and spent the walk catching up with all the family news. No doubt my blog tonight will be shorter than yesterdays as my jaw got as much exercise as my legs today walking with someone! Sorry Kim if your ears are worn thin after so many hours with me! Once around the old fort at Fishguard we were out into open countryside and again doing quite a few ups and downs from the cliff tops down to the little coves. We made it to Pwll-Gwaelod by lunchtime where the support team had persuaded the landlord of the pub there to look after food and water for Kim and I. For this reason I felt obliged to have half a bitter shandy rather than my usual cup of tea, which I have with Pat. It couldn't be helped though and slipped down very well after a long hot mornings walk. From Pwll-Gwaelod it was onto Cwm-yr-Eglwys which is another beautiful little bay where people were sea canoeing around the headlands in the glorious sunshine. From there it was a steep climb up out onto fields again. We then called into a number of very quiet but beautiful little coves, both with streams flowing through them that this time could be crossed by bridge. No risk of wet feet today! Just before Newport there were very high cliffs and not much between you and the edge. Thank God I had Kim with me and by chatting away not thinking about them I got past them without any fear. A good practise for the high cliffs I have to walk along tomorrow and Thursday. Once at Newport we walked along the beach before we hit the flat path that took us through trees to the iron bridge. Bluebells were just coming out in a few places along here. However, there has been no thrift in the last few days colouring the path pink as we had around St Davids. On arrival at the ironbridge about 4pm I gave Kim a lift back to his car and then it was back to the house for me for a cup of tea and a hot bath.

No comments: